Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hope Springs Eternal

I just had an appointment with my psychiatrist after starting to cut my anti-psychotic in half.  I told him how it has been messing with my sleep as I am now taking less and that I generally wake around 3-5am most mornings. I even have had one or two very sleepless nights.

He stated that I could take Melatonin to aid sleep and it wouldn't interfere with my other medications, which makes me happy because it works really well for me without giving me a hangover.

The most gratifying thing that he said was that because taking a lower dose of anti-psychotic has really affected my sleep he definitely believes the risperdal was the source of my elevated prolactin levels! This excites me because my OB/GYN said all of my other hormone levels seemed normal and thinks that this may be the only thing preventing me from ovulating.

One thing my psychiatrist did suggest that I think I might look into is to have my adrenal glands tested. I have read that a lot of weight problems can be caused by overactive adrenal glands--which produce cortisol and adrenaline.  He suggested that this could be the cause of my weight problems.

I think I might do some research on this further. I'm very excited for this next cycle because he said that I could stop the anti-psychotic altogether in 3 weeks!

No comments:

Motherhood Wanted approved!

Motherhood Wanted approved!
Diana Farrell, MA

design

Motherhood Wanted approved!