Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hyperprolactinemia and luteal phase defect

So I did some research because I was wondering if my short luteal phase this cycle had anything to do with my hyperprolactinemia (high levels of prolactin in the blood). I found this article that shows there can be some links to a luteal phase defect and hyperprolactinemia. Among irregular ovulation and menstruation (had it), absence of menstruation (definitely had that) and galactorrhea [breast milk production in non-nursing women] (had that a long time ago) there is also THIS side effect: inadequate progesterone production in the luteal phase after ovulation. I guess since I never ovulated prior to this I hadn't gotten to experience this but now I'm 4/4 on symptoms of hyperprolactinemia!

This actually cheers me, because if my doctor does a blood test on Friday and the levels of prolactin are back to normal, then it stands to reason that I was still experiencing slightly higher than normal levels of prolactin, enough to impair my progesterone production and shorten my luteal phase.  I am hoping that by the time I ovulate this cycle that this will no longer be a problem and I will go on to have a longer luteal phase (inshallah!)

In the meantime, there are several things that can be done to manage a luteal phase defect. One way is to take B6 throughout the cycle and supplement with progesterone cream after O.

There is some research also that because Vitex works to balance the cycle in favor of the hormone progesterone it could also be a good fix for a luteal phase defect. I have a the Fertility Blend vitamins and one of the primary ingredients is Vitex, so I'll likely finish those up this cycle to see if it helps.

Here's hoping!!! Inshallah our BFP cycle will come soon!

No comments:

Motherhood Wanted approved!

Motherhood Wanted approved!
Diana Farrell, MA

design

Motherhood Wanted approved!