Saturday, October 27, 2012

My current experience inducing AF aka my menses after Depo Provera

-->
I know I said I was going to continue my last post on herbal emmenagogues and I will start with the choices I attempted. Some of the most accessible to me were chamomile, and possibly peppermint (although I think this must be taken in larger doses). The first night I tried a cup or two of peppermint tea, which was a little spicy/stingy, but really helped my stomach. I didn’t notice any change in spotting or anything after that.

The next night I tried chamomile tea, which has more data supporting its ability to bring on menstruation (See this site at Sister Zeus for inducing late menstruation) The chamomile had quite the opposite effect on my stomach, but the next morning I had begun to spot.

Now, the main ways depo provera works to prevent pregnancy are thinning the lining of the uterus and creating a sticky mucus plug to prevent sperm from reaching the egg. When the first of the spotting began after drinking the tea, it was very pale, brown and had clots that were very pale—almost white.  So, I have had 1-2 cups of chamomile tea each night, each morning spotting has increased, but is still quite brown and somewhat clotty.

Today I have also experienced increase in cramps, tender nipples, and bloating/constipation, which are some usual PMS signs for me. I may continue the chamomile tea, but it is definitely a diuretic, as even if I drink only one cup, I have to pee A LOT not just at night, but sometimes even into the next day.

I have been debating if chamomile is the right solution for me. As the depo provera has thinned the lining of my uterus, I’m not sure if there is much to start a period. I have been reading a lot of information on various herbs that are helpful in regulating the menstrual cycle.

Three that come highly recommended are Dong Quai, Red Clover and Red Raspberry Leaf. According to Natural Fertility Info.com, Red clover  is helpful in increasing circulatory function, and can also be key in improving a woman’s cervical fluid.

Another herb that works well with Red Clover is Red Raspberry Leaf. The benefits of RedRaspberry Leafcan counteract the increased bleeding that may occur with Red Clover. The particular benefits of Red Raspberry Leaf for fertility according to Natural Fertility Info.com are:
Recurrent Miscarriage: If you have experienced miscarriage due to uterine weakness.
·       Heavy Menstrual Bleeding: The astringent properties of this herb help to stop heavy bleeding. It is also high in iron which may help prevent anemia due to heavy menstrual bleeding.

Poor Egg Quality/Nutritional Deficiency:
This herb is very nutritive and may help to boost overall nutrition.
·       General Preparation for Pregnancy: If you are thinking of trying to get pregnant this herb may be a great ally for preparing your uterus and boosting overall nutritional intake. It is also safe for men to use as well as it does not contain any hormone like substances.
·       Uterine Trauma: If you have had surgery to remove fibroids, endometrial tissues, cysts or have had uterine prolapse, previous uterine hemmorage or a Cesarean section this herb may help your recovery and healing of the uterus. The toning effect of Red Raspberry leaf helps the uterus to recover more quickly.
Dong Quai is the Chinese form of Angelica. It is also considered a blood tonic and these are the benefits of Dong Quai on the female reproductive system as listed by Natural Fertility Info.com
·  Menstrual irregularities  (Previous problem I have had)
·  Delayed or absent menstruation (Current problem after Depo)
·  Short periods with cramping
·  Strengthening a weakened uterus
·  If you experience cramping and PMS during your period.
·  Women who have stopped taking birth control pills and need to encourage a regular cycle (Definite need for post-Depo fertility aid)
·  Light or slow starting menstruation
·  Stagnant conditions

For myself I am choosing to start Dong Quai. I have ordered a Dong Quai tincture to start with balancing my cycle. If this is successful, I may consider adding a combo of Red Clover/Red Raspberry Leaf.

Please don’t forget to read the safety and side effects listed on Natural Fertility Info.com’s page on Dong Quai; the most important are to remember to stop during menstruation, as it can lead to heavy bleeding and also if you get a positive pregnancy test as it can be toxic in early pregnancy.

I can’t wait to get my order in! In the meantime I may keep up with the chamomile.

No comments:

Motherhood Wanted approved!

Motherhood Wanted approved!
Diana Farrell, MA

design

Motherhood Wanted approved!