Friday, October 22, 2010

This is the house that Estrogen built

First off, when conceiving this post I was originally going to call it "This is the House that Progesterone built" because I assumed that high levels of progesterone were directly linked to PMS symptoms.

Then I decided to do a bit of research. I found a website based on the research of one Dr. John R Lee, who pioneered studies in the 1970's on how natural hormones (bio-identical hormones) affect women's hormonal balances compared to traditional Hormone Replacement Therapy (synthetic hormones or ones from other species). He coined the term "Estrogen Dominance" which he found responsible for many diseases and symptoms, including PMS.

From reading many of the articles on his site I learned that Dr. Lee found progesterone's role in hormonal balance was to help break up excess estrogen. So, estrogen dominance is usually caused by low progesterone.

So, what was I going to write about today? The fact that since day 3 of progesterone cream my PMS has skyrocketed. I've had increased bb tenderness since yesterday (feeling bruised), fatigue and constipation in addition to the gassiness I've had since around O (totally abnormal for me). Today I had the tiniest bit of spotting after work. Super anxiety, but that's more related to what has been going on with me lately.

Again, I assumed that it was a side-effect of using progesterone cream, but my initial research on progesterone symptoms was inconclusive....it seemed that the primary symptoms linked to high progesterone were fatigue and I think water retention but not ALL of the PMS symptoms were mentioned. I kept wanting to remind myself that this could not possibly be pregnancy so, it must just be the progesterone.

I only BD unprotected day after O and although it is included on FF's intercourse analyzer, actual estimated probability of conception on that day alone is nil. It's just included because you can't exclude the possibility. The 1995 study in NEJM by Allen J. Wilcox, M.D., Ph.D., Clarice R. Weinberg, Ph.D., and Donna D. Baird, Ph.D. that analyzed intercourse patterns by days around ovulation gave the day after 12% chance JUST because you can't exclude the probability.

So when I got home I did further research and found the information about estrogen dominance. Apparently Dr. Lee believes the majority of PMS symptoms, especially the mood ones, are caused by either estrogen dominance or deficiency. So do I have that? I dunno. I'd have to get tested to see. But I suspect since I have signs of LPD that I may have the estrogen dominance.
So now I'm attributing the increased symptoms to potential estrogen dominance....at least it's not progesterone.

For more information on Dr. John R Lee's research on hormone balance through natural means check out this book and others on Amazon.
Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple: The Essential How-to Guide to Symptoms, Dosage, Timing, and More

No comments:

Motherhood Wanted approved!

Motherhood Wanted approved!
Diana Farrell, MA

design

Motherhood Wanted approved!