Friday, April 9, 2010

Family Awareness Method aka charting

So, awhile back I researched a lot of ways to detect my fertility and maximize it. I knew I could shell out for a Clearblue Easy Fertility Monitor that is an excellent way of detecting when you ovulate and helping a girl time intercourse to catch the egg. I didn't want to invest in it right away before I knew if it would be beneficial to me. What I found out about was charting my basal body temperature (waking body temperature) and monitoring my cervical fluids could also help me predict when I may ovulate and all it would cost me is the price of BD Digital Basal Thermometer.

So, I eventually bought Taking Charge of Your Fertility, 10th Anniversary Edition: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health. I learned SO much about how my body works and how to best use that knowledge to achieve pregnancy.

Sadly after about six months of charting I realized the problem was this--I don't ovulate. In a year of charting (with a six month break) I never once had a chart the definitively ovulated. I have the classic annovulatory charts.

With this knowledge in hand I went to my doctor who ran some bloodwork. She noticed my Prolactin levels were a little high. She almost scheduled an MRI but when she said it could be caused by anti-psychotic meds I reminded her that I do take an anti-psychotic. So my charge is to get taken off of this med to see if my prolactin levels lower and if I will then start ovulating.

I am still working with my doctor to get taken off of the medication, however, I am excited (hamdallah) to report that my periods have started coming back regularly. I don't know if this is related to my recently starting to lose weight (I am classified by my BMI as Obese)or what but I thank God and have started charting again to see if I am ovulating. I feel really confident that I may have last month, however, my battery died on my thermometer before I could confirm this and it took me awhile to get a replacement battery.

See the sidebar to subscribe to my chart feed.

No comments:

Motherhood Wanted approved!

Motherhood Wanted approved!
Diana Farrell, MA

design

Motherhood Wanted approved!