Saturday, January 29, 2011

Eating for IBS (Plus some weight loss!)

I still don't have an official diagnosis from my doctor, but after my colonoscopy/endoscopy passed with flying colors, I think the arrows for my symptoms are all pointing to IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). From what I've read of IBS the usual triggers for it are certain foods and also stress.

This week I decided to REALLY try to give the elimination diet a go, starting with wheat. I have been slowly losing about 1 lb or two a week following the colonoscopy, but started to gain back.

Last weeks weight was 225.2

This week my diet changes include mostly eating either oatmeal, fruit n yogurt parfait (McD's), or my new Granola Thins for breakfast. I usually had Granola Thins, applesauce for a snack at work and maybe Oatmeal for lunch. There were a few days I had some lunch brought in by drug reps that hosted....but of course I was avoiding wheat, which meant no biscuits, pastries, etc.

At home I mostly ate regular dinner stuff (rice and some chicken) although Wed I broke down and had Pizza. I was starved and DH had made it already. What's a girl to do?

So, I jump on the scale this morning and my weight was: 220.0!!

That is a 5.8 lb weight loss for this week! It has been awhile since I was below 220...the last time was a month or so ago, but I didn't stay there.  I think after I figure out how to incorporate some more lean protein into my diet, this could be something I do for long-term (until I get preggo).

After looking online, here are some of the trigger foods usual for IBS:

Red Meat (Beef, Pork, Lamb, etc.) Poultry Dark Meat and Skin. Dairy Products. Egg Yolks. Fried Foods. Coconut Milk. Oils, Shortening, Butter, Fats. Solid Chocolate. Coffee, Regular and Decaffeinated. Alcohol. Carbonated Beverages. Artificial Sweeteners. Artificial Fats.

Hmm, I eat most of these foods on a regular basis. I'm hoping Pellegrino will be ok, because I love that stuff. But looking back, I have noticed these things tend to make my symptoms flare up a LOT. Add to that Spicy foods. spicy stuff can leave me in a lot of pain or super heartburn right now.

Last week I noticed I would get especially sick when eating food with fat, meat, or something cooked in oil. So, definitely avoiding some of these things.

I have been eating some dairy products and so far these haven't been too much of a problem, although they may have been a major contributor to the constipation.

So, I was also talking to another friend that suffers from IBS and she was saying that it is mostly stress that causes it to act up. I pointed out that her diet she follows for her hypoglycemia is the suggested way to eat for IBS and could be a reason she doesn't get flare ups often.

She usually eats small portions every 2-4 hours. She avoids mostly fatty foods, chocolate, and sticks to whole grains, fruits and lean meats. So really a healthier diet in general. That was another thing I read, that eating smaller portions every few hours should help with the digestion rather than larger meals and reduce IBS symptoms.

Also, I've been doing some (very) light working out at night. Just moving around in front of the TV mostly. I don't think I would do more than 30 minutes at a time. I want to get geared for that again.

Now, this is not to say I ate super great the whole week. I had some Cracker Chips and Cream Cheese one day and stuff, but so far so good.

No comments:

Motherhood Wanted approved!

Motherhood Wanted approved!
Diana Farrell, MA

design

Motherhood Wanted approved!