Sunday, June 30, 2013

Natural Hypothyroidism Treatment

So, last night I was trolling Pinterest, looking for fertility related stuff. I was getting kind of frustrated, because having been studying methods to address infertility for the last 5-6 years, much of the pins seemed basic.

So, I thought about looking for pins to address the specific issues I know I am struggling with.  I found a very interesting pin related to how to treat hypothyroidism naturally.

Some of the claims I want to believe, but also want to check out (that we can get addicted to thyroid medication) although I'm inclined to believe. I continually struggle with knowing the dietary options that are healthy for me, and wanting to eat stuff I like.  Lately, I HAVE noticed when I consume bread, SUGAR, soda, processed food, etc that I feel like junk.  I guess if you are what you eat, and you eat junk food, you feel like junk.

I have been checking out a Paleo diet and I think it may fit many of my dietary needs. But that is a different post. Right now I'm addressing various natural ways of dealing with hypothryoidism.

They site I found was Healthwyze.org.  They give a detailed introduction to explain the reasons to attempt natural balancing of the thyroid, why synthetic medication will lead to dependence, and then lists the various actions one can take to improve thyroid function.

There are several, but the ones I want to highlight are the actions I have been contemplating for various reasons anyway, and seem the most likely culprits to my thyroid issue.

  1. Avoid Fluoride. 
    1. Yes, the stuff that makes toothpaste work. But fluoride is also present in most municipal tap waters as well. And yet again, Soda gets another strike against it. Apparently, even non-stick cookware leaches fluoride into food.
  2. Coconut Oil.
    1. The recommended method is to consume 1 tsp daily. Or it can be used as an oil/butter replacement. Of course, it is recommended to get unrefined, cold-pressed, organic coconut oil.
  3. Absolutely no soy.
    1. If you are thinking "that's no big deal, I'm not into tofu" better check the ingredients in your pantry. I find since soy is a common allergen, you can cheat by looking at that list of allergens on the ingredient list. But it is in a surprising number of processed foods.
  4. Check for Iodine deficiency. 
    1. Please be clear on the process and do not consume iodine by mouth.  The article suggests the 12 hour test. Place a circle of 2% Iodine on your stomach the size of a silver dollar.  If the iodine stain disappears completely in 12 hours, you are NOT deficient. If it still remains, keep using this treatment until the iodine disappears in 12 hours
    2. Also, check the Healthwyze.org article for other natural sources of iodine.
  5. Balance your Estrogen levels.
    1. Ensure to eat only non-organic meat and no dairy.
    2. Follow other recommendations in the article.
  6. Don't get overwhelmed!
Upon examination, the list of recommendations is daunting. But I am posting the ones I think most important to attempt. I'm not going to hold myself to such a high standard that if I eat one think incorrect I will see myself as barren forever. But I will remember the guidelines, and seek to correct at least one of these daily.

I hope to see a change soon!.

1 comment:

Team Harries said...

I started all these changes back in January, and we do Paleo (with the addition of nuts and legumes) :) Hope you start feeling better and see good changes :)

Motherhood Wanted approved!

Motherhood Wanted approved!
Diana Farrell, MA

design

Motherhood Wanted approved!